October 27, 2005

A Baby Is A Gift?

Was talking to my colleague about my old injury on my leg. The old injury has been there for some time. Apparently, the blood vessels near my ankle on the old injury site has probably caused the bruises to be there for a long time. My colleague, like me, are Thalassemic (A person with the medical condition of Thalassemia). It seemed like being Thalassemic could possibly be the reason why we bruise easily.

Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder where the body is unable to manufacture normal haemoglobin (a protein found in red blood cell). Because of this, insufficient oxygen is carried to many organs in the body. My colleague and I are carriers of this recessive gene and we present the alpha type. Being a recessive gene carrier, nothing will happen to us. Except that when we marry a person who is also a carrier, there is a 25% chance that the baby will present with Thalassemia Major. This means that health problems like severe anaemia, heart failure, stunted growth, multi-organ failure can happen. Frequent blood transfusions also have to happen. Thalasemic Minor people like me, will not present any of the above. We are just a carrier of a recessive 'bad' gene.

My colleague's husband is not a carrier of the recessive gene. This makes me wonder what if my future husband is a carrier like me? I was told that genetic counselling is important for married-couples-to-be. But as a Christian believing that God is sovereign and in total control, I wonder if genetic counselling is really crucial? Well, it will help to prepare a couple mentally and financially if they were to know that the baby will be abnormal. Surely abortion will not be a consideration. I honestly do not know if it would be a good decision to not have babies of our own if my future husband is Thalassemic like me. After all, there is a 25% chance that baby will be Thalassemia Major! To totally trust God and carry on to conceive with a high chance of an abnormal child, or adopt other children? I do not know and I don't have an answer.

It is said that a baby is a gift from God. In that case, an abnormal baby is a gift from God too, isn't it? Another colleague of mine who only got married 2 years ago and now with a 11-month-old baby, was diagnosed with a tumour behind one eye. The tumour has to be removed and baby will be one-eye blinded. Just before the surgery, doctors found another smaller tumour in the other eye too. I just learnt that such this condition is genetic. My cousin had also given birth to a baby with his oseophageal tube incompleted. This means that baby cannot swallow food. Despite many surgeries since birth, baby had to leave this world. I know this sounds paranoid, but I do not know how I will be able to handle if my baby is born abnormal. Besides being spiritually challenged, all aspects of the parents' lives will be turned upside down. Will I blame God or thank God for giving me that baby?

It sounds kinda mellow here... sorry if I made you paranoid or saddened by the cases mentioned. Just sharing these thoughts and probably for us to consider if we would ever blame God one day (or still be able to stay faithful and thank God) if tragedies were to struck at our doorsteps....

4 other thoughts:

Yuhui said...

Wow, very thoughtful entry.

On the upside, I think in general, the chances of an abnormal baby are quite low, even in a small country like Singapore.

Also, I looked up some stats for Thalassemia in Singapore, and here's what I found:

1. Wrong Diagnosis.com
16 out of about 4 million people (2003 study)

2. Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology
about 9% of the population (2004 study)

So the chances of meeting a man with Thalassemia is quite low.

Cheers!

island said...

I'm not sure what are the chances of an abnormal baby in Singapore. But I guess within my radar, I already know 2 as quoted. Agreed that most are normal.

As for Thalassemia, I disagree that stats in Singapore is low. Of course I won't say that its a high figure. But its just that most are carriers and won't display any symptoms. Not until one goes for a full body medical checkup, you will not know if you are Thalassemic.

Anonymous said...

I wonder about the same issue myself but aside from a baby that did not survive beyond 3 months, so far the new born babies I know of turned out real fine.

Maybe we oughta focus less on the tragic stories. Or is that denial?

Where's that drink I need?

Chocolate said...

Do not worry indeed. God looks after. Yes, even abnormal baby is a gift from God too. Pray and God helps you. Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...