August 6, 2005

Tissue Auntie

Read Neonangel's encounter with Tissue Auntie. Since I had the use of car yesterday, decided that I would drive down during my lunch break to Bible House to get a English-Chinese bible for auntie. I'm glad that I could get a NIV version although I'll much prefer to get the ESV version. Met up with Neonangel in the evening to try to pass the bible to Auntie.

From the side of Bugis Junction (near the box office) and looking at the direction of Bugis Village, it was not easy to spot Auntie amongst the masses who are crossing the busy road. We crossed the road and ended up on the island and found Auntie. Honestly if I had not knew Auntie's encounter from Neonangel, I'd have also just let her presence just pass by me. Auntie's smile warms my heart. We got her dinner (she has not eaten at 9.30pm) and I sat there to talk to her...

The crowd must be wondering why are 2 ladies squatting on the floor, in the midst of the noise and fumes of cars passing by us and talking to Auntie. Not letting the circumstances affect me, I sat there (could not squat for too long!) and talked to Auntie. Hee :) funny thing was that some info I found out, was different from what Neonangel has heard the day before. Can't blame Neonangel because of her lack of understanding Auntie's mandarin.

From a 15-minute conversation with Auntie, I found out:

  • she has 2 sons; older son married with kid(s) but not staying with her. He works in a coffeeshop and doesn't earn enough to support her. Her younger son is psychologically ill after an incident a few years ago. Doctor deemed him unfit to work for 2 years. She's earning to support herself and her younger son. Her older son can barely feed himself and his family.
  • she told me that her husband (when he was alive) would beat her up just to show it to her sons.
  • her husband passed on years ago. For his funeral, someone loaned her $3,000, which she only just recently managed to repay..... after 11 years!!

    $3,000... most of the friends around me would probably earn close to this amount or even more per month. But to another person, it takes 11 years to repay that debt. I was almost in disbelief when I heard that and I did clarify again with Auntie if she really took 11 years! My heart sunk.... I question myself how I have been using the monthly salary that I earn. Have I been prudent and making it to good use???

    Tissue Auntie know Jesus from a group of people who shared the gosepl with her years ago. From her trust in Jesus, she held on to her hard life. From her face, I see no resentment to God or anyone for the state she's. She's somewhat contented and in some way confident to continue living her life. She had in no way, complained to me about her hardships. She only merely responded to my questions and happily eating the noodles that we bought her.

    I only had 15 minutes with Auntie, but my encounter with her has sparked off many thoughts. I tell myself to want to visit her in future and hope to able to be a blessing to her. If you do cross the road to Bugis Junction from Bugis Village, do buy some tissues from Auntie when you see her....

  • 1 other thoughts:

    quop said...

    wow this is really touching and inspiring... praise be to God! was in Bugis a month ago, but too early to have seen Tissue Auntie, tho' i'm sure i would have just as soon walked straight past if she was there. will be in sg again in another few months, if i'm ard bugis again maybe i'll look for aunty and tell her i'm from across the ocean, and read about her on the internet, and wanted to say hi and buy some tissues :)

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...