August 6, 2005

What if I had just crashed and died?

I was driving home at about 12.30am when I felt like I was gonna drift off to sleep. This wasn't the 1st time this happened. As I turned off the PIE exit to my place, a thought suddenly crossed my mind - what if I really have drifted off to sleep and I had crashed and die from the accident? Am I prepared to meet God? What do I have to say if I've to give an account of my life? Would He be pleased with what I do to my life... this life that He has given me?

No offence to those who are not having an easy time, but I realised that I've been very blessed. The things I struggle in are nothing as compared with many others. My greatest few struggles in life were studies (yes you won't believe it! I was only trying to pass exams!), relationships and my singleness. What are these compared to broken family relationships, ailing mum going through chemotherapy, dad who had a fractured skull from motor accident, ailing dad fighting cancer, an old lady fighting to make ends meet for survival of her and her psychologically unwell son, girl going through unwanted pregnancy cos of an irresponsible guy, a friend trying so hard to obey God in a relationship that my friend knows it should not have continued... the list is endless. And in the past 2 weeks, I just heard too many....

I grew up in a generally healthy family with parents in 28 years of marriage, siblings who're completing their tertiary education and will soon be out into the working world. Work's sometimes busy but already blessed in many ways. I mean what else can I complain about if I've a good boss who doesn't bother with little things I do or not do, time flexible enough to be able to serve God in ministries, knowing many doctors that I can help refer friends to see the doctors when they need, having easy access to medical knowledge when I need advice, getting discounts for medicine, colleagues who are nice and do 'take care' of me. Work politics is in every company so I can't complain. I've family and friends who love me. Most importantly, I've a God who so loves me. Yet I do not live up to His holiness and in gratitude of what He has graciously done for me. So I do not deserve to complain...

I thank God for everything in my life right now... I guess I took them all for granted. I pray that I will be able to persevere and praise Him all the same when things are not going right. If things are going well for me, what do I do to all the other injustice and struggles that people I know are going through? PRAY is the answer. I may not be able to fully understand, but I can lend a listening ear, be a friend and PRAY for them. I know some others who are also struggling although I do not know the issues that they battle with. But since I know that they're not going through an easy time, do I just sit back and do nothing? No, I can PRAY. And perhaps I may be able to help in some practical ways. Sometimes I wonder if I could understand their hardships because I've not gone through some situations, simply because my life's been generally smooth. But yet I did not choose it this way nor did I do anything to ensure my life is smooth-flowing. Its just God's blessings to me. Perhaps in response, I should give of myself to serve my fellow brothers and sisters who are 'suffering'. "Other-person-centred" - we always think we may be able to do so but really it is so difficult. Without His strength and grace, it would almost be impossible because of our sinful state.

Lord, I pray you help me be sensitive and patient to be there for others. Help me to be other-person-centred... so that at the end of the day, I will be held accountable to you and you will be pleased with me...

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...