January 5, 2010

Stir-Fry Chicken with Veggies and Cashew Nuts



It is the first work 'normal' week of 2010. I thought I will try coming up with a chicken dish with veggies that I have in my fridge.

The result was quite good. I ate quite a bit of it even though I only had a little rice. I know that hubby likes the dish when he goes for seconds on the rice. He does not like to eat the dish by itself. He likes it with rice, especially those with lots of gravy.

Here is my 'agah agah' recipe (ie. ingredients proportions are via estimation):
1 piece of chicken breast (~300-400g), diced (use chicken thigh if you prefer)
1/2 big green capsicum or a small one, sliced
1 角瓜* (aka angled luffa), peeled and sliced
5 button mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp corn flour
2 tsp rice wine
2 tsp soy sauce
200ml chicken stock (if you don't have, water is good)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar (or normal vinegar)
Cashew nuts

Marinade diced chicken in soy sauce, rice wine and corn flour for 10 mins. Place oil in fry pan/wok under high heat. When it is heated, add chicken. Cook until chicken turns slightly brown. Dish out the chicken and put aside.

Add more oil into the fry pan if required. Add garlic and stir for 30 secs. Add capsicum, mushroom and stock and cook for 1 minute. Add luffa and the browned chicken pieces. Cook for anoter 2-3 mins until the chicken is completely cooked. Add vinegar, salt and sugar and mix well. Sprinkle over cashew nuts (as much as you like) and serve with rice.

I did not cook cashew nuts together because I like the crunch texture and the nuts I have come toasted and salted when I bought them.

*My MIL grows 角瓜 and she calls them by that name. The Cantonese call it "xi kua". Few people know what is the English name. Only when I googled and I found out that it should be angled luffa or chinese okra. I love this - soft and juicy :)

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...