March 24, 2009

Sausage Rolls

I copied a sausage roll recipe from my SIL's Donna Hay magazine. Donna Hay's famous tagline is "special made simple". This recipe is indeed simple and this photo on the magazine made me wish that I could eat it right away. I am always able to find reason(s) to try a new recipe... My reasons this time are:
  1. Have something for my CG to enjoy while we meet for bible study tonight.
  2. Have a savoury morning tea treat for the mother's group this Friday which I help look after the kids while the mummies study the Bible.
  3. Freeze away the excess for future treats (since now we have extra freezer space)
Ingredients:
1kg sausage mince
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (I was lazy so I used bought dried breadcrumbs)
2 eggs
salt and pepper
4 sheets of puff pastry (I used 4.5 sheets eventually)
2 egg yolks
sesame seeds
Method:
1] Put mince, sauce, paste, crumbs, eggs, salt and pepper into a mixing bowl. Mix them well. (I found it easier to use my hands instead of fork and spoon)
2] Preheat oven to 200C. Cut each sheet of pastry into 2. Place the mince mix along the long side of the pastry. Roll it and cut it to your desired length.
3] Brush each roll with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake them for 20-25 minutes.

Note:
- I added ground coriander into the mixture too. I think you can also add grated carrots and other herbs according to your liking.
- My fan forced oven only took about 15 minutes with 160C for it to turn golden brown. Adjust cooking time and temperature accordingly.
- You may freeze or put in the fridge but best to heat them up in the oven before serving with sweet chilli sauce.
- If you can afford it, use a better sausage mince. It will taste better too.

Hubby and I managed to make exactly 100 mini rolls out of the lot! Other than some portions put aside for CG, mother's group and our breakfast this morning, we still had 4 lots of them (14-16 in each lot) freezed away for future :) Conclusion: great recipe for making in bulk, freeze them for future treats!

2 other thoughts:

hwees said...

wah! Your sausage rolls look yummy! CW has been scouring the whole of Singapore for those old-time luncheon-meat sausage rolls we used to eat as a kid. No luck so far. Maybe I'll try your recipe. When I have time lah :P

Anonymous said...

Really good recipe and I like the proverbs reference. (you will cause)"Many women do noble things,
but you(recipe) surpass them all." I will pass this on to the ladies guild. Hope the bible studies go well for you. Blessings to you and yours. Harry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...