October 13, 2008

Family Legacy

Hubby's grandma was called home to be with the Lord last Wednesday. She was 91 of age. I first met ah ma (I think) when I visited my then-boyfriend in Brisbane. Known to everyone and to me, she was a lovely old lady with beautiful white hair and a really warm smile. Since I moved slightly over more than a year ago, I have had opportunity to spend 2 of her last birthdays with her.

Ah ma's birthday celebration in 2007

Ah ma's 91st birthday celebration in 2008

My impression of ah ma was that she was simple, humble, contented and does not like to impose on others, even though it is her own children/family. You may read her eulogy on hubby's blog. At the funeral service, my FIL also spoke about her. One thing that impressed on my mind - ah ma don't want to live in a big house. She is happy and contented to live in any house so long as the roof does not leak. After her husband passed on some 10 years ago, she'd rather live by herself in a retirement village because she does not want to impose on any of her 6 children and be a 'guest' at their places. She spends her time every day praying for every one of her children and their spouses, grandchildren and their spouses and great-grandchildren by name. One of the fond memories when her children were young, was that they often lie close to her after dinner and she will read them bible stories and pray with them under the stars... and would often, sing her favourite hymn "Jesus is all the world to me".


Jesus is all the world to me, my life, my joy, my all;
He is my strength from day to day, without Him I would fall.
When I am sad, to Him I go, no other one can cheer me so;
When I am sad, He makes me glad, He’s my Friend.

Jesus is all the world to me, my Friend in trials sore;
I go to Him for blessings, and He gives them over and over.
He sends the sunshine and the rain, He sends the harvest’s golden grain;
Sunshine and rain, harvest of grain, He’s my Friend.

Jesus is all the world to me, and true to Him I’ll be;
O how could I this Friend deny, when He’s so true to me?
Following Him I know I’m right, He watches over me day and night;
Following Him by day and night, He’s my Friend.

Jesus is all the world to me, I want no better Friend;
I trust Him now, I’ll trust Him when life’s fleeting days shall end.
Beautiful life with such a Friend, beautiful life that has no end;
Eternal life, eternal joy, He’s my Friend.


This has made hubby and I reflect on the legacy that she has left behind... You know how they say that first generation Christians are live God-fearing lives but their second and third generations seem to be 'less godly' or may not even know Jesus? Ah ma and ah gong (whom I have only seen in photos) have been really faithful to God and completed their race with perseverence (ah gong was the 'founder' of the Chinese Methodist Church when he migrated to Brisbane after pastoring a church in Sarawak). My in-laws are also very faithful and godly disciples of Jesus. With this, hubby and I are motivated and prayerful that we will also be godly and faithful parents to our children (God-willing) that they too will know Jesus and that their children and grandchildren and all generations after will also know Jesus (Psalm 78:1-8).


Ah
ma, thanks for everything you have left behind. Farewell and see you soon in heaven!

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...