December 20, 2005

Kid's Thots

Went to pick up my little soon-to-be-4-years-old friend Cha and her parents after their movie. Cha was very delighted to see her che che island (means sister island), especially when her parents did not tell her I was gonna meet them. My presence was a pleasant surprise for her. Anyhow Cha almost could not recognise me as she seldom see me in my spectacles.

Cha: Hee che che island, I cannot recognise you because you look so different today.
Me: Cha, that's because I am wearing my spectacles! So do I look better without my spectacles?
Cha: No....
Me: So I look better in my spectacles?
Cha: No.... you look better last time
(So actually she meant I look better without my spectacles. I guess kids just cannot understand the way adults confuse them with their language)

Cha: Why are you wearing spectacles? (And she can really pronounce spec-ta-cles)
Me: Erm... because che che island is short-sighted.
Cha: Why?
Me: Because I sit too close to the tv to watch tv when I was a little girl. So now I have to wear spectacles to see clearly.

(Silence. I then heard her sulking to her daddy and whispering to her daddy that she is upset. She then began to cry a little.)

Me: Cha, are you ok?
Cha: (in a small voice) I'm upset
Me: Why are you upset?? Don't be upset...
Cha: I'm ok. I tell you later. Let me snap out of it first...
(I asked her later when I see she has snapped out of her 'sadness')

Me: So why were you upset Cha?
Cha: Because you sit too close to the tv and have to wear spectacles

I dunno whether to burst out laughing when I heard that. I tried to compose myself and I told Cha that it was ok for me to wear spectacles. It doesn't hurt me at all. So Cha was actually sad that I have to be wearing spectacles (which I don't look nice) because I sat too near the tv when I was young. The truth is that I don't remember I got my short-sightness due to sitting to close to the tv. I guess it was due to reading under poor light. Anyhow my short-sighted isn't so bad... only 200-300+ degress...

It was nice to see Cha so concerned for me that she felt sad enough for me to be wearing spectacles. You just can't help to feel a sense of aww..... but because it sounds silly, I was so tickled by the way she thinks. I guess she does have a compassionate and loving heart. So that little bum refuse to let me wear my spectacles during my time at her place. She would remove my specs when she see me put it on... and she will laugh about it.

This little bum always never fail to bring a smile to my face. She's ever so delighted to see me. Compared to the times when she was younger, she is so arrogant! She takes some time to warm up with strangers.... I think she'll be a heart-breaker when she grows up. This bum also has an incredible memory. I showed her the photos in my handphone once, telling her who the people were. The next time I saw her (few weeks later), the bum can remember my father, my mother, the various aunties and uncles and even my boss! And I only showed her once!! She even remembered the name of J's baby! Cha has not met J's baby but because I showed her the photo before, she remembered how the baby looks like and the baby's name!

How innocent are the thots of little kids.... when I remember Cha's innocence and her unassuming, compassionate and loving heart, I wonder how nice if adults can be like that too. Its really nice to be with children and be loved by them :) Before she closed the door to see me off, she shouted "Bye che che island! I love you!" (and she doesn't say the "I love you" words to just anybody ok... :P) Although that didn't come from a guy, it melts my heart already :) But well, because she didn't let me wear my spectacles, I almost twist my ankle when I missed a step outside her place! I shall remember to wear my contact lenses the next time I see Cha....

3 other thoughts:

Yuhui said...

Haha, she's so cute! I thought she felt sad because she too had been sitting close to the TV all the time.

But it's true about little children's memories. That's why it's easier for people to learn things when they're younger. The brain hasn't formed all of its permanent connections (and therefore, memories), so it's easier for it to absorb and retain new information.

Anonymous said...

very cuute!

island said...

ya kids prob dun have so much things to remember like the adults.. hee hee

this afternoon, tat bum made my day again. i sms her mum to tell her tat i think someone is unhappy with me. so cha said "xxx not happy never mind, i'm happy with che che island, that's enough" awww.... doesn't tat melt one's heart? i thot tat was so sensitive n clever for a 3-yr-old kid!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...