October 23, 2005

Thankful For Pain

Followed mum to a Chinese Tui Na place at Woodlands this afternoon. Mum's veins at the thigh area was hurting, likely due to her prolonged standing in her work. I tagged along, hoping to have some massage done for my back and neck. I know that it would be shiok!

Decided on a foot relexology with neck/shoulder massage for 1 hour. The 1-hour ordeal had not only cost me $35 (rather cheap) but also PAIN! This was my 5th attempt at foot reflexology in my life time. 3 times were done outside Singapore. Each time when I did it, it was painful at some areas on my legs and the front of my foot. It was hardly painful when the points on my soles were pressed. Well at least this means that my internal organs were generally okay. I had an old injury on my foot near my ankle which does not bother me when I walk, but it hurts when I press on the site. I injured it whilst walking down a flight of steps at Clementi MRT 5 years ago. Injury improved after seeing 2 different chinese doctors. Since then the site
of injury will hurt upon touch but I can walk, run and jump without problems.

I learnt that my injury was not treated properly and so it still hurts. The injured bones/ligaments had caused internal bleeding, which is the cause of the pain I feel whenever anyone pressed on the site near my ankle. I'm glad that I went to the massage today. Someone finally gave me a good explanation to my condition. The injury was the reason why my feet could produce a 'click' sound if I were to rotate my ankle a few times. I was gritting my teeth and hugging my bag in pain as the therapist sought to 'treat' my foot. Wearing of high heel shoes had also caused the veins running down from my knee to my foot to hurt. The excruciating pain almost made me cry. But because I had others sitting beside me, I have to be brave... I was given a medicated plaster at the end of the therapy. Well the good part was that the 20-min shoulder/neck/back massage saved the day. It was really good and I felt like I was floating in the air after the massage!!

Despite the painful experience on my legs, I am still thankful. Without pain, we would never know what is wrong with our bodies. Pain tells us what is going wrong in our bodies, just as fever is a sign that tells us that our immunity system is being attacked by foreign organisms. I remembered reading a story about a girl who was born with a defect of the nerves that she cannot feel pain. On one occasion, she was bleeding from cuts and she could not feel the pain. If not that someone noticed the bleeding, she might have bled to death!

Most people would avoid pain - physical pain. That's why anaesthesia was invented. In the operating theatre's recovery room, pain is used as one of the measuring factor if you could leave the operating theatre back to your ward. At least in the Bible, we know that God had cursed women's child bearing to be painful because she had rebelled and disobeyed God. Pain is characteristic of this sinful world. Revelation 21:4 tells us that when the Final Day comes,
He (meaning God) will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
I do look forward to that final day where pain and death will be no more....

At least on that final day, my feet won't hurt, my muscles won't ache from exercise and epidural will not be needed for child birth (ok I know that there seem to be no need to multiply in heaven then...) :P

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...