November 2, 2011

Birthday Eulogy

A birthday eulogy sounds wrong? A eulogy is a speech that speaks well and praises of someone who is recently deceased, usually at his/her funeral. Although most dictionaries define it as it being used usually on people who have passed away, wikipedia mentioned that it can be used to praise a living person too, which normally takes place on special occasions like birthdays, etc.

A few days ago, I decided to not reveal my birthday on my facebook profile page. Basically, I wanted to prevent the many wall messages that people will write because all my facebook contacts will be informed that it is my birthday. It was quite cute to know that the first person who send my birthday greetings via facebook, was an ex-colleague who remembered my birthday. He sent me a facebook message (as supposed to a wall post) to wish me happy birthday because he did not see any birthday greetings on my wall. At the end of the day, I still had about 30 birthday postings on my wall but that was way better than having 50 to 100 postings ;)

As I was reading the messages left on my wall (and the 2 birthday cards I received), I noticed that some people spoke well and kindly of me. I begin to wonder if these would be what people will say at my funeral, hence I thought of "birthday eulogy". These messages also reflect how people think of me. Strangely, I didn't feel proud of myself nor delight excessively at the nice comments like I used to... I mean, who doesn't like to be praised and appreciated?

These are the 'eulogies' I received on my wall -

  • Your joy in Him is contagious and beautiful.
  • You are a happy, positive person to be around.
  • You have a generous heart to serve God and His people, especially in your adventures in baking and cooking.
  • You have been a great blessing with your love for life. Continue serving Him with great great joy.
  • Stay happy, cheerful and healthy for you are blessed. 

This is not quite a eulogy but I like what one said - to rejoice in the physical and eternal life God has given me. Indeed there is much to be thankful and rejoice in, despite many things in my life that are less than ideal. The biggest thing I can rejoice is living this new life that my Lord Jesus has given me, through the sacrifice that He has done for me. The next best thing is the family (blood family and the extended church family) and friends whom I have been blessed with :)

I quote this last sentence of a book I recently finished reading - So the end of the matter is this: Live for God. Obey the scriptures. Think of others before yourself. Be holy. Love Jesus. May this truly be what people say about me at every birthday and at my funeral.

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...