November 28, 2009

Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup


I have made pumpkin soup before but this is the first time I used sweet potatoes as well. This is a combination of 2 recipes that I found. My guests and I really love this soup. I think this is the best pumpkin (and sweet potato) soup I have ever made.

Ingredients
500g sweet potatoes (or kumera)
500g pumpkin (Jap or butternut. I used butternut)
1L vegetable stock (I used Massel ready stock)
1/4 cup of chopped continental/Italian/flat-leafed parsley
1 med brown onion, finely diced
50g butter
250ml cream (I used light thickened cream)

Remove the skin and cut up kumera and pumpkin roughly into smaller pieces. Place them, onions, butter, parsley and stock in a big saucepan. Bring it to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 mins until the pumpkin and kumera are soft.

Cool the soup for 10 mins. Puree the soup. Now if you like you soup thick but would like to omit the cream, you could at this stage. Otherwise, add cream for a creamier texture and return the soup to the stove. Bring it to a slight gentle boil. You are ready to serve!

I find that I need not add any salt nor pepper to this soup, even though I used the salt-reduced version of the vegetable stock. It was really tasty and comforting to drink it (even though it is not winter now). I reckon the fresh parsley (straight from my garden) made the difference too ;)

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...