April 11, 2009

Dim Sim... Wantons... Siew Mai...

Last Saturday, my workplace organised a lunch gathering for the alumni people... Being an Asian (most others are Cacausians), I was asked to make an Asian finger food. M suggested making wanton (commonly and generally known as "dim sim" in Australia) and told me how I should wrap it so that the filling is exposed on the top, which looks like siew mai. I concocted my own recipe...

(Ingredients are roughly estimated. Makes about 70 wantons)
1kg pork mince
1 cup chinese dried mushroom, soaked to soften and sliced
1.5 cups grated carrot
1 cup finely chopped prawns
white pepper
3 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
2 tsp sesame oil
wanton skins (I used "egg pastry" skin, which I thought was quite good)

1) Mix pork, mushroom, carrot, prawns, pepper, soya sauce, shaoxing wine and sesame oil in a large mixing bowl. Mix them well (I used my hands because I think it gives it a better and thorough mix).

2) Cut off the corners of the wanton skins. Put about 3/4-1 tbsp of filling onto the skin. Wrap the skin to form the sides of the wanton. Shape it as in photo below. Flatten the top each wanton.

3) Steam them for about 12 minutes. Optional to serve with sweet chilli sauce.

I only managed to make 60 wantons. That was how many 1 packet of wanton skins had. I made the rest of the filling into meat balls and freezed them away for future use.

Wrapped up wantons before steaming


The finished product - steam wantons (siew mai)


0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...