September 14, 2006

t

Went shopping with a guy friend to help select a Birthday pressie for his g/f. Went to Bikies shop to give suggestions and to be a model on the various designs and patterns of the casual shoe wear. We also went to a couple of jellewery shops to see if there is a nice little cross pendant to get for her, as it would be a nice significance for her since she accepted Christ some months ago.

At one of the jellewery shop, we saw a diamond cross, which was almost exactly the same as what I am wearing. I got it as a gift a year ago, as a gift of appreciation from an Indonesian couple for my help to them. Then I was surprised because I didn't expect to receive such a pricey gift, or even a gift for my ministry to them. The diamond cross from the shop's display was sparkling bright but mine is a little dull due to my wearing everyday. The shop attendant offered to clean up the necklace and pendant for me so that it will achieve the sparkle effect. I was a bit hesitant because it seems a bit 'pai sei' if my friend was not buying the pendant. I relented and my necklace came back sparkling clean and bright, looks as good as new! But my friend decided to not get the cross and so I did feel a bit 'pai sei' about it. However, the shop attendant was all smiles even as I left the shop. "What good service", I thought to myself - when a customer did not buy anything from you, cleaning service was provided free of charge and with a smile! Eventually, my friend bought the Birkies.

This morning, I was in the lift with a doctor. As we walked out of the lift, he suddenly asked me if I am a Christian. My answer was a "Yes". He commented that I have a nice cross pendant. I suppose such question was not a norm and I somehow didn't know how to react except to return with a smile :) The necklace and pendant probably stood out quite a bit after the cleaning yesterday and it had attracted some attention. As I walked to my office, I figured that I should have returned that same question to him - if he is a Christian? At least if he isn't, I can have a chance to share gospel with him or something...

In this day and age, wearing a cross can just be a fashion statement. In the 3 jellewery shops I went to, there were quite a few selection of cross pendants, mostly in diamond. Someone who wears a cross may not be a Christian. He/she may just like the idea of wearing a cross, maybe also because it makes the wearer looks 'holy'. Why am I wearing a cross? Well, I am wearing the diamond cross because I got it as a gift and because I like it - neat and classic. About 10 years ago, a good friend of mine gave me a yellow gold cross pendant for my birthday. On my 21st birthday, my cousin gave me one in white gold. So this diamond cross is the 3rd cross pendant that I own. I used to think that because I like to wear a cross, I will wear it. I wear it because I am a Christian and since I was gonna wear a pendant, a cross pendant would be nice. (Wearing a cross pendant doesn't make me a Christian. It also doesn't mean all Christians must wear a cross pendant.) This morning's little incidence reminded me that by wearing a cross, others will also see that I wear a cross and it seems to say "this person is a Christian". This means that my testimony is important. Wearing a cross or not, may not be that important. But the way I live my life and conduct myself, tells others who I am. Do I want to be seen as a child of God and a reflection of Him? Or someone whom others cannot believe it if I tell them I am a Christian? Gives me some food for thought... what impression am I giving to the people around me? How am I living my life? And how I am prepared to share the gospel to whoever, wherever I am?

Hmm....

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...