January 9, 2006

Philippians 4:6-7

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I hope I'm not quoting the verses above out of context. I'm also not attempting to preach on the above verses. I was just thinking about my prayer requests to God and the above verses came to mind...

After talking to a friend last night, I was thinking about my past and present prayer request to God and the mindset that I have towards Him answering my prayer. Surely when we commit something in prayer to God, we do sincerely and hopefully hope that God will answer the prayer. I know there were times which I pray without a total dependence on God and sometimes probably with that hidden thought "God, I pray you will answer MY request MY way". Admittedly, this is all but my human sinfulness... wanting to live life my way and not God's way.

But of course sometimes I do pray, not knowing what will happen next and knowing the uncertainty ahead, but really able to pray with my heart, mind and soul "God I really don't know what's happening, what will come next and how the future might be, but I want to trust in you and your sovereignty and that not my will but yours be done."

I always think that I will be able to recognise it when God answers prayer. I mean, it surely isn't so difficult to know that isn't it? I realised that it will only be easy if God's answer to my prayer matches what I really wish it will be. But if God's answer to my prayer is not according to my wish list, will I be able to recognise it? Will I then be short-changing myself or even asking "God, why isn't it the way I thought it to be?".

I probably ought to be more thankful in everything... not questioning God why my prayer is answered in a way that is not what I imagined it to be. I must learn to be thankful and not doubting Him and His ways. I need to go to Him with a trusting heart, in total dependance on Him. Probably then will I be able to understand when He answers my prayer and submit to Him wholeheartedly. Who knows if His answer to my prayer is much better and more beautiful than what I wish for??

0 other thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...